This week’s Hot Links topic is Emotional Intelligence (EQ) and its importance in leadership and decision making, at work and in everyday life!
In its purest form, Emotional Intelligence as a concept has been around for thousands of years. Plato articulated concepts such as these in his writings. More recently, Howard Gardner mentioned it in 1983 when he first conceptualised ‘multiple intelligences’. The concept was further popularised in the early 1990s by John Mayer and Peter Salovey.
Daniel Goleman’s 1995 seminal book ‘Emotional Intelligence: Why it matters more than IQ’ really put EI on the map and into our consciousness, so to speak.
This week’s Hot Links to Learning:
• Emotional Intelligence, Daniel Goleman. A short animation breaking down the concepts of emotional intelligence and how it’s an integral part of thinking and decision making. In this clip Goleman also explains how our choices are often not based on our IQ, but more on our EQ.
• When Emotions Make Better Decisions, Antonio Damasio. In less than 5 minutes well-known neuroscientist Antonio Damasio provides an interesting insight to emotions and decision making.
• Why aren’t we more compassionate? Daniel Goleman, author of “Emotional Intelligence” asks why we aren’t more compassionate, more of the time.
• Seinfeld: Emotional Intelligence – Self Management, a 5-minute ‘sit back and relax’ video clip from Seinfeld, that brings a bit of a chuckle about the subject of today’s articles and videos.
• The Neuroscience of Emotional Intelligence, Huffington Post (written by Amy Brann) – Interesting challenges to our thinking… Amy asks: should we throw away Daniel Goleman’s book?
• Emotional Intelligence, Leadership, and Resilience by Jason Moriarty, a Regimental Sergeant Major/Mentor/Coach/author who writes about how it takes both cognitive and emotional intelligence to be an effective leader in a modern military. He explains about the linkage between emotional intelligence and resilience.
• Why Emotional Well-Being Matters at Work (Infographic) – An article from Hubspot’s Marketing Blog about happiness at work, challenging the statement that “great work leads to big success, which leads to happiness”.
Here at Southern Cross Coaching & Development we’re constantly being asked to recommend interesting articles, blogs and talks which explore the subjects we are all passionate about: Leadership, Personal and Professional Development, Individual Growth, Neuroscience, and Coaching.
To meet this growing requirement and to save you time sifting through the haystack for a few needles, we’ve decided to take the time to curate an exciting selection of links to specific articles, books and videos that we know will add value and feed your passion.
We’ll take the time so you don’t have to :-).
Like you, we love sharing our passion for these ground-breaking topics; we are always open to new thinking and we’re keen to learn along with you… So please send anything, links, articles, suggestions for discussion, anything you think will inspire us and our growing community.
We hope you enjoy this week’s selection! 🙂
If you like to find out more about our customised, in-house Neuroscience-based Emotional Intelligence Training, keynote speeches, Emotional Intelligence Coaching, and EQ 360 development assessments for leaders and teams, as well as for recruitment, please contact us on +61 2 7901 5618 or email [email protected].