01 Job Application and Interview Skills
A very practical, comprehensive training program that gives people everything they need to do their best application, interview, CV and covering letter. Suitable for Public Sector employees at every level, the program is always customised to provide people with the knowledge, skills and tools to apply for a Public Sector role at every level of government (and is applicable to the Private Sector).
This in-house training program is tailored specifically to the organisation and the appropriate legislation and Capability Framework. For NSW Government it is GSE Act Compliant, and teaches participants about the NSW Public Sector Capability Framework, Focus Capabilities, Targeted Questions, etc.
The program is also adapted to other Governments and Capability Frameworks e.g. the Federal Government ILS (Integrated Leadership System), and Work Level Standards for SES roles; WA Public Sector Management Act and Commissioner’s Instructions and the WA Public Sector Leadership Capability Framework; Local Government Capability Framework, etc
This course will equip people with everything they need know to effectively apply for a Public Sector role. The program is well suited for organisations going through a restructure, advertising new career opportunities, making more roles available, reclassification of roles, helping contractors apply for a permanent/ ongoing position, or if they just want to ensure their employees are up to speed with, say, the GSE Act requirements and/or any relevant Capability Frameworks – whether it be NSW, other State Governments, Federal or even Local Government.
The Job Application & Interview Skills program has been widely presented to over 7,000 Public Sector participants across Australia and metropolitan NSW and covers the full scope of the application and interview process. 99.6% of people say they would recommend the program to others! Program topics include:
- How to submit an effective application for almost any role/job under the NSW Capability Framework (or another framework)
- The NSW Government GSE Act 2013 and how it impacts the recruitment process (adapted to other Government legislation as required)
- Explains the NSW Public Sector Capability Framework (can be customised to any Capability Framework e.g., Local/ Federal/ other State Government)
- Principles of Merit selection process and what it means for your application
- How to effectively use The STAR Principle to write an application and answer interview questions (examples provided)
- A practical Capability brainstorming template (soft copy provided)
- Tools to use when writing an Expression of Interest (EOI) or a limited length application
- Targeted Questions (for NSW Government) and Covering Letters (examples provided)
- Practical behavioural interview skills, techniques, and tools to improve interview performance
- Practical tips to best perform in psychometric assessments
- Overcoming anxiety and nerves
- How to make a good first (and last) impression
- Referees – selecting and getting the best from them
- How to prepare a Best Practice CV/résumé
- Includes Best Practice soft-copy Templates for CV and Cover Letters
The program can be tailored to each organisation’s exact needs, and often to each individual group. For NSW Government, our training covers how to use the NSW Public Sector Capability Framework and is fully GSE Act 2013 compliant.
Delivery: This in-house course can be delivered as a Virtual, Hybrid or Face-to-Face program.